FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions

Questions About The Canadian Border Opening

Q. Do travellers still require a negative COVID-19 test taken 72hr prior to entering Canada?

Yes. All travellers must take a PCR (molecular) test with a negative result taken within 72hrs of crossing the border.

Q. What are the requirements for children under the age of 12?

Unvaccinated children under the age of 12 travelling with fully vaccinated parents must meet all other required criteria to enter Canada, including submitting information electronically through ArriveCAN and all testing requirements (which includes the pre-arrival test).

Q. Do unvaccinated children between the ages of 13 and 18 need to quarantine?

From what has been released to date it appears that non-vaccinated individuals between the age of 12 and 18 will need to quarantine for 14 days. We are still looking for specifics on this age gap.

Q. Will non-vaccinated or half-vaccinated Americans be permitted to enter Canada if they are able and willing to quarantine?

Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated and for all other foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.

Q. Is there a fee attached to the ArriveCAN app?

ArriveCAN is a free and secure app. The Government put out a statement warning people of scam apps pretending to be ArriveCAN asking for payment information. Click here for more information on the ArriveCAN app.

Q. What constitutes as a proper quarantine plan?

The quarantine plan is mandatory for anyone entering Canada, regardless if they are fully vaccinated.

Quarantine locations should be their vacation destination

Guests who are randomly selected for a test and test positive can choose to do their quarantine at their quarantine location here in Canada OR they can leave to go home.

We suggest that operators (if possible) have a cabin reserved as a self-isolation location for the guest that tests positive.

Q. Are there any testing or quarantine requirements for Americans returning to the USA?

As it currently stands, there are no testing or quarantine requirements for Americans returning to the US by land border crossing. There are testing requirements for Americans returning to the US via air. The COVID-19 situation is continuously evolving therefore this may change. We will update the industry if there are any changes.

Q. What are all the steps our US guests will need to take prior to entering Canada?

Must have received the full series of a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine of approved vaccines (Pfizer, Moderna, Astra Zeneca, Johnson & Johnson) NOT MIXED VACCINATED 

Must have received your last dose at least 14 days prior to the day you enter Canada

Upload information into the ArriveCAN app (this app is free and secure)  

All information must be inputted into the ArriveCAN app within 72 hours prior to arrival in Canada. 

The app will ask you to input contact information for you and the people you are travelling with, purpose of trip, date of arrival, port of entry, proof of vaccination, and your quarantine plan.

For the quarantine plan, input the location where you will be staying while in Canada (i.e. the lodge). 

Must have a negative COVID-19 molecular* test taken within 72 hours prior to arrival (view accepted tests). Antigen tests are not accepted.

Must be asymptomatic upon arrival 

Upon arrival, the border officer will ask you for your ArriveCAN receipt, proof of vaccination, negative COVID-19 test results and other typical documentation. 

Q. What types of COVID-19 pre-arrival tests will be accepted by CBSA?

These tests are considered acceptable molecular tests - antigen tests are not accepted*:

  • PCR - Polymerase chain reaction
  • RT-PCR – reverse transcription real time PCR
  • Quantitative PCR (qPCR)
  • Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs)
  • Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP)
  • Isothermal amplification
  • Droplet digital PCR or digital droplet PCR (ddPCR)
  • Transcription-mediated amplification (TMA)
  • RNA (Ribonucleic acid)
  • Ct (cycle threshold)
  • Sequencing
  • Next generational sequencing (NGS) or whole genome sequencing (WGS)
  • Oxford Nanopore sequencing (LamPORE)
  • Detection of the N gene
  • Detection of Orf1a/b
  • Detection of the S gene
  • Detection of the E gene
  • Detection of the RdRp gene

These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample. At this time, proof of having a vaccine will not replace a negative test result. Here are links that NOTO members have shared with us that may help your guests find a testing site:



Please make sure to advise your guests that antigen tests are not accepted.

Q. If someone had COVID-19 and has recovered, would that count as proof of immunity/vaccination?

No. All individuals must be fully vaccinated and have proof of vaccination in order to enter Canada. Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated and for all other foreign nationals, unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.

How To Get Here

How To Get Here

  • Fly into Winnipeg, MB, and rent a car
  • Fly into Minot, ND, and rent a car
  • Drive

*GPS directions to be provided upon booking


What to Bring

What to Bring

  • Passport
  • Warm insulated clothing temp varies year to year from 20 F - 60 F
  • Boots
  • Gloves
  • Rain gear
  • Goose and Duck calls if you wish to do your own calling
  • Camo clothing
  • Camo face mask
  • Gun and gun case (must have hard locking gun case for plane)
  • Gun cleaning supplies
  • Ice chest to bring back your birds. Be sure to check with your airline regulations to make sure it meets the requirements
  • Camera
  • Waders (although we mainly hunt over fields, there may be situations where we may be by water)
  • Headlamp or flashlight
  • Shoes/slippers for inside lodge
  • Snacks
  • Alcohol (soft drinks and water provided)
  • Gratuity 10-15% of Hunt cost for staff (cooks, cleaners, scout, guide)
Importing Firearms Into Canada

Importing Firearms Into Canada

Canada’s gun law requires that all non-residents complete a Non-Resident Firearm Declaration form (JUS 909EF), which will serve as a license and registration. This is also required to purchase ammunition. There is a fee of $50 CDN that is good for 12 months. This form must be filled out in triplicate and must be signed in the presence of the customs officer.

Canada Firearms Import Information

Manitoba Hunting Licenses

Manitoba Hunting Licenses


Canada Migratory Bird Permit

Canada Migratory Bird Permit

Please click here to purchase your federal license (migratory game bird hunting permit)


2022 Photos & Text Copyright - © Michitoba Outfitting
3plains.com - Outfitting Web Design

Back To Top